home map travel tales good reads recipes

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Talking about solving problems

This is a tough topic for some little friends. Am I right? Really, it's no surprise - they are still learning to recognize, process, and understand their own emotions. I've found (in my 1.1 years of teaching - ha!) that children really need to be taught skills to solve problems with their peers. I had a lot of hands-on last year, a lot of tattling, a lot of miscommunication, a lot of misunderstandings, and a lot of emotional outbursts among my students. I took quite a few Social Studies periods to teach about problem solving. It started to work. Phew! Saved me. So this year, I have a plan to teach these steps - before the problems start. I hope to have my students follow a four-step plan:
1. Think - Is this a big problem or a small problem?
2. Say - "I do not like that because...." or "Please stop."
3. Ignore
4. Ask - a friend or a teacher for help.
If you're interested in this model, I made titles to create an anchor chart with my group. You can grab it here:
How do you teach problem solving in your class? I'm all ears for new ideas. This week we're doing a fun little activity using our clip chart to help students understand the types of behaviours that are expected at the top of the chart, and those that may get you placed near the bottom... I'm looking forward to it! Photos and credit to come.

And a small peek at my Saturday: 
A new year means a new batch of my scratch cards must be made. I'm looking forward to giving the first one of these out!
- Amanda
Classroom freebies

2 comments:

  1. I just love your scratch cards! I found your blog through Classroom Freebies and am thrilled to be a new follower. Please be sure to link up to my Blogs of Inspiration page. I would love to have you.
    Laura
    TIPS: Teach, Inspire, and Prepare Students

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm always looking for new ways to teach social skills!

    Lisa
    The Lower Elementary Cottage
    teacherlisasclass.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete